Message from Miss Misty
May! Whew! Between spring sports, confirmation, graduation, Mother’s Day, final school projects and dance recitals, May might just be the busiest month of the year. I know our five kiddos are running many directions this month including track, dance, AWANA camp, boy scouts, and math tutoring. With May being such a busy time, I’m making a real effort to just enjoy all the rush. It might be a little crazy now, but I know someday I’ll look back and miss the months of May I had with my kids. I’ve taken email off my phone and I’m committing to really seeing my kids shine in their activities this month. My hope is that you, too, will take time this month just to take in all the sweetness of your kids dancing their hearts out on stage. There will never be another May like this. Enjoy every minute!
-Miss Misty Lown, Owner
Message from Miss Shayna
We are so excited for our 18th Annual Spring Recital! You can look forward to seeing the results of a year of hard work, dedication, and progress from your dancer! So much of the dance training process includes learning through performance. The recital experience helps children build self-esteem and confidence that they will carry with them for years to come.
Next week, our entire MDU staff will be at Viterbo to help your dancer have a great show! Staff members will be wearing red MDU t-shirts for easy identification should you have a question or need assistance! Let’s have a great Recital Week!
THANK YOU for a GREAT Year!
-Miss Shayna Stellflue, School Director
May 9-14: In-Class Dress Rehearsal Week at MDU
May 15: Discover Performing Groups Meeting at MDU
May 16-19: Dress Rehearsals at Viterbo Fine Arts Center
May 20-22: Recitals at Viterbo Fine Arts Center
May 24-26: Performing Group Auditions at MDU
May 28: Ballet La Crosse Auditions at MDU
June 4: Fall Graded Level Registration begins Online
Dress Rehearsal & Show Orders
If your dancer is in multiple classes, please check these documents to find out which of their classes will rehearse and perform first. This will help you to arrive at the Viterbo Fine Arts Center in the correct costume, ready to go!
Viterbo Dress Rehearsal Reminders
Our On-Stage Dress Rehearsals are held Monday, May 16 – Thursday, May 19 at Viterbo University’s Fine Arts Center!
- Please arrive in costume, ready to dance, at the start of your rehearsal block. Thank you in advance for helping us stay on time!
- Rows will be labeled with class names for dancers to sit with their group.
- Remember to allow extra time for parking!
- Miss Misty and Miss Shayna will be giving important announcements at the start of each rehearsal block.
- Younger dancers will rehearse the Grande Finale at the end of their rehearsal block and then be dismissed from stage. Older dancers will be dismissed by their instructor once their rehearsal on stage is complete.
- Group Photos will be taken by Design Photography after each class rehearses on stage. Order forms will be available at Viterbo. All students participate in the group photo regardless of whether or not they order a photo.
- Recital DVDs will be available for order from AVP Media’s table in the lobby area.
Additional Recital Reminders
Here are a couple of reminders and helpful tips for the day of the show:
- Be sure to clearly label your child’s costume, shoes, and other belongings.
- Please send your dancer with an easy, mess-free snack (fruit snacks, crackers, granola bars, etc.) as the little ones tend to get hungry while they wait backstage. No drinks are allowed in the dressing areas, but drinking fountains are available.
- Coloring supplies, movies, and other activities are provided backstage during the show for younger dancers.
- Dancers should arrive backstage to their assigned dressing area 30 minutes prior to their show time. Staff members will be available to help you find your assigned location. Children’s Classes (2 years – 3rd Grade) will check in to the dance studio area at Viterbo. Graded Level Classes (4th Grade and up) will check in to the downstairs dressing rooms.
- Keepsake Recital Programs will be available for purchase at each of our shows. Programs contain show information for the entire weekend and are $10 each.
- For your convenience, Sunshine Floral will have individual bouquets available for purchase in the Viterbo atrium before each of our shows for your convenience! If you wish to special order a larger bouquet for your dancer, you may call Sunshine Floral directly at 781-1903.
Discover Performing Groups
Performing Group Audition Information: Detailed audition brochures will be available at this meeting and will also be available the following week at our Dress Rehearsals and Recitals. Already interested in auditioning? Click HERE to sign up!
6:00-9:00pm – Auditions for Dancers who have completed Level III and IV
Fall Registration for Graded Level Classes
As a reminder, our Fall 2016-2017 Registration for Graded Level Classes (entering 4th Grade and up) begins AFTER our Spring Recital. Mark your calendar for Saturday, June 4 at 8:00am when Graded Level Registration begins Online!
Level placements will be sent out via email on May 31. Additionally, our 2016-2017 Graded Level Class Schedule will be published online on May 31. Be sure to check out our awesome variety of Summer Programs beginning in June. Fall classes begin September 6, 2016!
Students of the Month!
Miss Ayslan Hass
Miss Ellie Helgeson
Miss Macy Meyer
Miss Laura Kammer
Check out our lobby display featuring these dancers! We would also like to recognize this month’s other nominees: Ambriella Erickson, Cailyn Holter, Claire Johnson, Olivia Key, Kendyll Lidner, Annie Skogen, Rubie Stetzer, Maleah Ann Sinclaire Wehrenberg and Sarena Young. Way to go, dancers! Keep up the awesome work!
Pre-Professional Ballet Showcase
Our Pre-Professional Ballet students will be holding their Year-End Showcase the evening of June 9 at the Weber Center for the Performing Arts. The showcase will include a 45 minute Coppelia ballet performance, a senior showcase, and a modern/contemporary piece. Tickets will be available through the Weber Center Box Office soon!