Message from Miss Misty
The chorus of Andy Williams Christmas classic song, “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” sounds like RECITAL to me! And for the hundreds of students that will be taking the stage it is indeed “the most wonderful time of the year”! Some of my favorite memories from my days as a student are tied up in the entire recital week experience. In particular, I love seeing all of the children coming into Viterbo with their laundry baskets full of costumes and shoes, having their group photo taken backstage, practicing on stage, smiling and, of course, laughing. Then it’s time for the BIG SHOW! That’s where the real magic takes place. It’s where an entire year of hard work comes together in a few magical hours on stage. It’s beautiful and we can’t wait to share it with you. See you soon!
-Miss Misty Lown, Owner
Message from Miss Shayna
I am so excited for our 19th Annual Spring Recital and the celebration of HEROES through dance! Recital allows us to see the results of a year of hard work, dedication, and progress while still continuing to learn through the performance experience. It is a joy to see how this experience helps students build self-esteem and confidence that they will carry with them for years to come. From our youngest students taking the stage for the first time to our graduating seniors taking the stage for the last, the entire Recital week is going to be full of memories that will last forever! I am truly blessed to be part of that journey with all of our amazing students, parents, and staff!
THANK YOU for a GREAT Year!
-Miss Shayna Stellflue, School Director
May 5: Daddy Daughter Rehearsals Begin (more details below)!
May 8-13: In-Class Dress Rehearsal Week
May 12-13: Ballet La Crosse Auditions for “A Little Princess”
May 15-18: On-Stage Dress Rehearsal Week at Viterbo University
May 19-21: Spring Recitals at Viterbo Universtiy
May 23-25: Performing Group Auditions
June 3: Fall Registration for Graded Level Classes Begins ONLINE at 8am
In-Class Dress Rehearsal Week
Reminder: Monday, May 8 – Saturday, May 13 is our In-Class Dress Rehearsal Week! Dancers should wear their Recital costume, tights, hair and make up to their regular class just as they would for the real show. Parents will be invited in for the last 10 minutes of class for important reminders about our On-Stage Dress Rehearsal Week and Recitals at Viterbo University the following week!
Viterbo Dress Rehearsal and Show Orders
If your dancer is in multiple classes, please check these documents to find out which of their classes will rehearse and perform first. This will help you to arrive at the Viterbo Fine Arts Center in the correct costume, ready to go!
Viterbo Dress Rehearsal Reminders
Our On-Stage Dress Rehearsals are held Monday, May 15 – Thursday, May 18 at Viterbo University’s Fine Arts Center!
- Please arrive in costume, ready to dance, at the start of your rehearsal block. Thank you in advance for helping us stay on time!
- Rows will be labeled with class names for dancers to sit with their group.
- Remember to allow extra time for parking!
- Miss Misty and Miss Shayna will be giving important announcements at the start of each rehearsal block.
- Younger dancers will rehearse the Grande Finale at the end of their rehearsal block and then be dismissed from stage. Older dancers will be dismissed by their instructor once their rehearsal on stage is complete.
- Group Photos will be taken by Design Photography after each class rehearses on stage. Order forms will be available at Viterbo. All students participate in the group photo regardless of whether or not they order a photo.
- Recital Memories orders for Recital T-shirts, Yearbooks, etc. will be available for pick up.
Additional Recital Reminders
Here are a couple of reminders and helpful tips for the day of the show:
- Be sure to clearly label your child’s costume, shoes, and other belongings.
- Please send your dancer with an easy, mess-free snack (fruit snacks, crackers, granola bars, etc.) as the little ones tend to get hungry while they wait backstage. No drinks are allowed in the dressing areas, but drinking fountains are available.
- Coloring supplies, movies, and other activities are provided backstage during the show for younger dancers.
- Dancers should arrive backstage to their assigned dressing area 30 minutes prior to their show time. Staff members will be available to help you find your assigned location. Children’s Classes (2 years – 3rd Grade) will check in to the dance studio area at Viterbo. Graded Level Classes (4th Grade and up) will check in to the downstairs dressing rooms.
- Keepsake Recital Yearbook Programs will be available for purchase at each of our shows. Programs contain show information for the entire weekend and are $10 each.
- For your convenience, Sunshine Floral will have individual bouquets available for purchase in the Viterbo atrium before each of our shows for your convenience! If you wish to special order a larger bouquet for your dancer, you may call Sunshine Floral directly at 781-1903.
Last Call for Daddy-Daughter Dance 2017
Don’t miss this opportunity to be your daughter’s HERO! Daddy-Daughter Dance rehearsals begin soon! Dancers in our Kidlets/Taplets Level and up (Kindergarten age and up) are eligible to perform in the Daddy-Daughter Dance at our Spring Recital. Studio Rehearsals to learn choreography will be held as follows.
Friday, May 5
5:30-7:00pm for EVERYBODY!
Saturday, May 6
12:30-1:30pm for Show 1
1:30-2:30pm for Show 2
2:30-3:30pm for Show 3
3:30-4:30pm for Show 4
4:30-5:30pm for Show 5
Saturday, May 13
2:00-3:00pm for Show 1
3:00-4:00pm for Show 2
4:00-5:00pm for Show 3
5:00-6:00pm for Show 4
6:00-7:00pm for Show 5
Dress Rehearsal on stage at Viterbo University will be held as follows:
Show 1 Participants: Tuesday, May 16 from 6:00-6:30pm
Show 2 Participants: Tuesday, May 16 from 6:30-7:00pm
Show 3 Participants: Wednesday, May 17 from 6:00-6:30pm
Show 4 Participants: Wednesday, May 17 from 6:30-7:00pm
Show 5 Participants: Thursday, May 18 from 6:00-6:30pm
Sign Up here to participate in the Daddy Daughter Dance for all of the shows in which you would like to perform. Participation cost is $50 per family.
Farewell & Best Wishes!
The following instructors are moving on to new adventures after our season comes to a close with Recital. We thank them for sharing their talents with our students and their dedication to our program!
Miss Bev Dumonski is retiring from regular teaching after 44 years! Before coming to MDU, Miss Bev owned her own dance studio in Connecticut for 13 years and even has a former student performing on Broadway! Although she will no longer be part of our regular schedule of classes, we are thrilled that Miss Bev will remain as a MDU Ballet Curriculum Adviser and be available to observe and sub classes!
Miss Michelle Malone is moving to Los Angeles this summer to pursue both dance and graphic design. Miss Michelle grew up dancing at MDU and has been teaching and choreographing for the past 8 years! We are excited that she will still be choreographing some of our Performing Group Hip Hop routines for next season and looking forward to teaching workshops and master classes when she is home to visit.
Miss Carlie Flaherty is also moving on next year. She started with us 2 years ago when she and her husband were starting their family. Now that her daughter is a little older, she has taken on a position at Trust Point, Inc. in La Crosse. Miss Carlie will still be available to sub classes next season.
Fall Children’s Class Registration ON NOW
Classes are filling up quickly! Click here to view our 2017-18 Children’s Class Schedule! Our Children’s Class Registration is for dancers age 2 through dancers entering 3rd Grade in the Fall. Dancers currently in our Building Level (entering 4th Grade in the Fall) will register for Level 1 classes next season. See below for details on our Graded Level Registration.
Fall Registration for our Graded Levels of Technique (entering 4th Grade and up) will take place after our Spring Recital as teachers are still finalizing their level placements for fall in the remaining weeks of the season. Graded Level Registration for the 2017-18 season will begin ONLINE on Saturday, June 3 at 8:00am!
Level placements will be sent out via email on May 31. Additionally, our 2017-2018 Graded Level Class Schedule will be published online on May 31. Fall classes begin September 5, 2017!
MDU Performing Groups and Ballet La Crosse Auditions
- Auditions for our “Littles Performing Group – Sparkle Squad” (Ages 5 & 6) will be held on Tuesday, May 23 from 4:30-5:30 pm
- Auditions for our Dancin’ Kids! (Ages 7-10) will be held on Tuesday, May 23 from 5:30-6:30 pm
- Auditions for our Guys Only Teams (Ages 8-18) will be held on Tuesday, May 23 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- Performance Company Auditions for dancers who have completed Building, Level 1, Level 2 will be held on Wednesday, May 24 from 4:00-6:00 pm
- Performance Company Auditions for dancers who have completed Level 3, and Level 4 will be held on Wednesday, May 24 from 6:00-9:00 pm
- Performance Company Auditions for dancers who have completed Level 5, Level 6, and Level 7 will be held on Thursday, May 25 from 5:00-9:00 pm
- Auditions for CREW will be held on Wednesday, May 24 from 5:00-6:30 pm
- ONE make-up audition will be offered for pre-approved audition absences on Tuesday, May 30
Ballet La Crosse is excited to announce that their fall 2017 ballet production will be “A Little Princess”! Sign Up HERE to audition for Ballet La Crosse!
- Auditions for male and female dancers in Levels 5 and up will be Friday, May 12 from 6:00-8:00 pm
- Dancers with 2 years of en pointe experience should bring their pointe shoes to auditions.
- Auditions for dancers in Beginning Ballet to Level 4 will be Saturday, May 13 from 11:00 am-1:00 pm
- Alternative auditions will be Monday, May 22 from 6:00-7:00 pm
Students of the Month!
Miss Emelia Bassuener
Miss Hazel Mueller
Miss Elle Hefty
Miss Sally Eberlein
Check out our lobby display featuring these dancers! We would also like to recognize this month’s other nominees: Lilah Dewey, Morgan Fuchs, Marlie Heichel, Olivia Neubauer, and Anna Skemp. Way to go, dancers! Keep up the awesome work!